- Baikie, K. A., & Wilhelm, K. (2005). Emotional and physical health benefits of expressive writing. Advances in Psychiatric Treatment, 11(5), 338-346. doi: 10.1192/apt.11.5.338 Available from: http://apt.rcpsych.org/content/11/5/338
- American Psychological Association: Gratefulness and heart health http://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/2015/04/grateful-heart.aspx
There are many books and other resources on journal writing, story telling, and poetry, and how they can contribute to your health and your life. Here are a few.
- DeSalvo, Louise. (1999). Writing as a way to healing: How telling stories transforms our lives. New York, NY: Harper Collins.
- Fox, John. (1997). Poetic medicine: The healing art of poem-making. New York, NY: Jeremy P. Tarcher/Putnam.
- Capacchione, Lucia. (1989). The well-being journal: Drawing upon your inner power to heal yourself. North Hollywood, CA: Newcastle Publishing.
- Stone, Richard. (1996). The healing art of story telling: A sacred journey of personal discovery. New York, NY: Hyperion.
- Rainer, Tristine. (1979). The new diary. New York, NY: Jeremy P. Tarcher.
- Lee, John. (1994). Writing from the body: For writers, artists and dreamers who long to free your voice. New York, NY: St. Martin’s Press.